EP117: The Power of Communication and Why You MUST Get Better at It as a Coach and Human w/ Brett Bartholomew
I finally got my good friend Brett Bartholomew on the show to talk about something we both feel very strongly about: the power of communication. Brett speaks on this on so many levels – including his must have book, Conscious Coaching and his program Bought In.
Brett Bartholomew is a strength and conditioning coach, author, consultant, and Founder of Art of Coaching™. His experience includes working with athletes both in the team environment and private sector – along with members of the United States Special Forces and members of Fortune 500 companies. Taken together, Brett has coached a diverse range of athletes from across 23 sports world-wide—at levels ranging from youth athletes to Olympians. He’s supported numerous Super Bowl and World Series Champions, along with several professional fighters in both professional boxing as well as the UFC.
In this episode we dive into the nuts and bolts of communication, why it’s so important, and the reason you must get better at it— no matter where you currently are with your skill level. We explain why.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
- 3 key areas in life where communication is a must and why improving it will get you better results and give you a competitive advantage.
- Communication represents the very essence of human condition – and yet it’s rarely taught OR evaluated so that coaches can improve.
- Poor communication can cost you results and your livelihood, and how to avoid having your job taken by robots in near future (listen to the predictions of how many jobs will be lost to this).
- Why you should be filming yourself speaking and communicating on a consistent basis and asking for constructive feedback.
- Only 6% of people do THIS and why you have an opportunity to put yourself in the upper echelon of coaches.
- The 8 components of the communication process. Brett breaks them down so you can hear how you can improve as a communicator.
- Context is KEY and why it’s one of the most important parts of communication. We discuss HOW to practically change.
- Verbal, non-verbal, and para-verbal communication, the missing links that are preventing you from being the best communicator.
- Brett and I dive into examples of communication that you can use to improve how you communicate.
- Most people are so scared to fail that they avoid working on communication and receiving feedback – which turns into failure in coaching, sales, marketing, and because of that: business.
- Evolution of coaches and entrepreneurs and THE biggest mistake they’re making that are stopping them from improving.
- A powerful example/story of how lack of communication could have prevented a loss of thousands of lives, and how YOU may be losing results because of your communication.
- The important factors of online communication and strategies and tips to instantly improve it and differentiate yourself.
- Want to sell better and more? Follow these mindsets and strategies Brett and I share that will help you overcome the obstacle of being great at sales.
- Execute, expand, and evolve: how to take your career to the next level.
And much more.
LINKS AND RESOURCES
Brett Bartholomew: https://brettbartholomew.net/about/
Brett Bartholomew Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/coach_brettb/
Bought In Course: https://courses.artofcoaching.com/signup/
Conscious Coaching: The Art & Science Of Buy In: https://www.amazon.com/Conscious-Coaching-Science-Building-Buy/dp/1543179479
Vigor Life Podcast (iTunes): https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/vigor-life-podcast/id1180256583?mt=2
Luka Hocevar YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ29YcBh-g6onRujX3wD_XA?view_as=subscriber
Luka Hocevar Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lukahocevar/lukahocevar/
Thanks so much for joining me this week. Have some feedback that you’d like to share? Leave me a review on iTunes.