EP072: Coaching Lessons From Basketball To Build A Championship Team, Business, and Life
I’ve been playing basketball since I was a kid, but started playing the sport seriously at age 11 after going to summer camps for years. I sucked at first, but got better the more hours I put in – which grew my love of the game.
The game, the people, and many of the coaches that I’ve worked with over the years have taught me so more than the skills of the game. They’ve taught me skills for life and building championship teams, along with how to apply that to business and life itself. All of which changed the course of my life for the better.
Though I didn’t always learn the lessons until later on, I kept many of them logged in journals – which I still refer to often. I’ve also dived into a lot of books from basketball greats like John Wooden, Phil Jackson, Jay Bilas, and Kevin Eastman lately. I have so much to share that this will surely be the first of many episodes on the wisdom, lessons and insights one can get from basketball. I hope that you enjoy it.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- How my perceived shortcomings in basketball ended up being some of my greatest strength in business and life.
- How to re-evaluate and shift your perspective surrounding yours “gifts”.
- Why life is a team sport and if you’re not helping the teams around you get better you’re missing out on more success and a fulfilled life.
- The “3 gaps” and how to recognize which one is stopping you from creating a championship life.
- What ‘The Knowledge Bank’ is and how to know if you are depositing every day to build it up as your most valuable asset.
- What ‘Teamness’ means and why I believe it’s the biggest missing piece to helping you build a successful business.
- The 3 parts that must be present to have championship “Teamness”
- The word and perspective I brought back from my trip to Africa and how it changed the way I operate in my business and life.
- The triangle of past, present and future and how to use each to your strength.
- How to know if you’re “coasting” or working towards a championship life? I’ll give you the litmus test that will show you.
- The championship creed I have on laminated cards for myself and my team.
LINKS AND RESOURCES:
Vigor Ground Fitness and Performance: www.VigorGroundFitness.com
Vigor Life Podcast on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vigor-life-podcast/id1180256583?mt=2
Luka Hocevar YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ29YcBh-g6onRujX3wD_XA?view_as=subscriber
Luka Hocevar Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lukahocevar/
Book: Toughness – Developing True Strength On and Off The Court by Jay Bilas: https://www.amazon.com/Toughness-Developing-True-Strength-Court/dp/0451414683/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546189185&sr=8-1&keywords=toughness
Book: Scared Hoops – Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior by Phil Jackson: https://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Hoops-Spiritual-Lessons-Hardwood/dp/1401308813/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1546189315&sr=8-5&keywords=phil+jackson
Thanks so much for joining me this week. Have some feedback that you’d like to share? Leave me a review on iTunes.