EP106: Knowing Your Audience, & the Two Critical Principles of Building a Great Life and Business w/ Adam Bornstein
Adam Bornstein is an award-winning fitness and nutrition writer and editor. Formerly the editorial director for Livestrong.com and fitness editor for Mens Health, currently the fitness advisor for Schwarzenegger.com as well as the Chief Nutrition Officer for Ladder Sport (Lebron James and Arnold Schwarzenegger’s supplement company). He has also contributed to and been featured in The New York Times, Fast Company and GQ, and is the founder and CEO of Born Fitness and Pen Name Consulting.
More importantly, Adam is a a great human being, a close friend, and a very smart entrepreneur who’s built his own successful businesses while consult other big brands. I call him, “The Ghost In The Machine” because he’s the person responsible for the successful growth of many big companies and brands, while being the mastermind behind the scenes that you never hear about.
In this episode we talk about the path to success, failure, knowing your audience, and the two critical principles.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
- The governing compass that points you in the direction of how to measure yourself; which is a key to taking the RIGHT action.
- Why you need principles so that your blood, sweat and tears go into the right area and fulfill you.
- Adam’s two governing principles (based on his values) that guides who he hires, how he markets, what people he surrounds himself and what experiences he creates.
- The questions to ask yourself that will help you set the behaviors to achieve the things you want in life.
- Why knowing your audience is THE first step to building a fulfilling business AND life.
- How painful life lessons changed what I valued and changed the direction of my life, both personal and career.
- How your ‘negative” experiences can become tools to build a better future if you choose it.
- The #1 characteristic needed to be able to change yourself, the people around you, and your business.
- Why “creating something of value for people” and showing people you care can be the business combo and will lead you to success for life.
- Why you need to do the tried and true methods, then iterate them and improve, instead of re-inventing the wheel.
- How listening to your gut can lead to you making the right decisions for you. Adam explains from personal experience how turning down a huge financial opportunity that wasn’t aligning with him turned out to be the best decision (despite not being clear at first).
- The formula for who you should listen to, advice vs. opinion + believability.
- The weaknesses should you strengthen and which ones you should outsource to someone else and not waste time on.
- The principles Adam gives to the “young bucks” about building a business in the fitness industry.
- The ONE thing that won’t ever go away and what you should focus on, this is an Evergreen principle.
- A powerful question that Adam asks that will help you protect your business and help you innovate long-term.
- Why you must put yourself in challenging situations when times are good and great, and specific tactics to work on your resilience.
And much, much more.
LINKS AND RESOURCES
Adam Bornstein: http://www.BornFitness.com
Adam Bornstein Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bornfitness/
Ladder Sport: http://www.LadderSport.com
Vigor Life Podcast (iTunes): https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/vigor-life-podcast/id1180256583?mt=2
Luka Hocevar YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ29YcBh-g6onRujX3wD_XA?view_as=subscriber
Luka Hocevar Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lukahocevar/
Thanks so much for joining me this week. Have some feedback that you’d like to share? Leave me a review on iTunes.