I met Jason Harris at my friend Adam’s 212 entrepreneur event when he was one of the mentors. At the event, Jason gave a presentation on connecting your business to social good and philanthropy. He talk resonated deeply with me and led to what I now consider a great relationship with him.
A little history about Jason. He is the President and CEO of award-winning creative agency, Mekanism. Where he works closely with brands through a blend of “Soul & Science” to create shareable and provocative campaigns that engage audiences. Under Harris’ leadership, Mekanism has been named to Ad Age’s “Agency A List” and twice to their “Best Places to Work”, as well as been listed on Creativity “The Creative 50” and recognized by Effie as one of the “Most Effective Independent Agencies”. He has been profiled by The New York Times, Fast Company and ABC’s Nightline.
Harris serves on the board of directors for Advertising Week and the United Nations’ Social Impact Leadership Council, and is an advising member of the elite Marketing 50. He has helped build and refresh some of the world’s most iconic brands, including adidas, MillerCoors, Levi’s, Ben & Jerry’s, HBO, Nasdaq, Amazon, The North Face and The United Nations.
Jason also wrote the best seller, “The Soulful Art of Persuasion: The 11 Habits That Will Make Anyone A Master Influencer”; which is what we dive into this podcast episode.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
- What made Jason decide to go from helping some of the most well-known companies in the world with advertising, to writing a book on persuasion.
- Why/how the book started as “The 10 Greatest Marketing Campaigns Ever….” but evolved into a book that can replace “How To Win Friends and Influence People”.
- Why relationship building, marketing and business all come down to your daily behaviors and how you operate.
- Why most business books aren’t practical and don’t help you change who you are and change the actions that lead you to success; and why Jason felt that a guide book to change was actually needed.
- How to create your own personal guiding compass even if you’re a young entrepreneur. “Expose your psychic skin.”
- The power of storytelling and why it’s integral to creating connection with people.
- What “Never Be Closing” means and why it’s the most powerful long-term success strategy.
- One of Jason’s daily habits that you can apply today and change the way you do business and build relationships.
- How my conversations with Jason led me to create the Vigor DREAM program; which will now partner with Badges and Barbells to help mentor underprivileged youth.
- Why fear based persuasion does NOT work better than positive persuasion, especially in the long-term.
- The collaboration imperative and how it is better than constantly being competitive.
- The story of the “Million Dollar Hoodie” and how you too can create stories like that in your business.
- Why Tom Hanks is the most trusted man in America and how building your skillset and building celebrity will make you much more trusted.
- The habit of skill hunting and why this may be the reason you’re not achieving the growth you want in your life and business.
- What “Personal Jesus” means and why you MUST have this in your life and work to be fulfilled. It’s also a way to pay your skillsets forward.
- Jason’s personal thought process in making campaigns that succeed and how you can mirror it for your own business.
And much more.
LINKS AND RESOURCES
Jason Harris Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jason_harris/
Mekanism Advertising Agency: https://mekanism.com/
The Soulful Art of Persuasion Book: https://www.thesoulfulart.com/
Vigor Life Podcast (iTunes): https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/vigor-life-podcast/id1180256583?mt=2
Luka Hocevar YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ29YcBh-g6onRujX3wD_XA?view_as=subscriber
Luka Hocevar Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lukahocevar/
Thanks so much for joining me this week. Have some feedback that you’d like to share? Leave me a review on iTunes.