I have been looking forward to talking with Chris Duffin for some time. His incredible story proves that what happens to you doesn’t have to define who you become.
Chris went from growing up homeless in the Pacific Northwest wilderness—raised in an abusive and chaotic household where his childhood was composed of skinning rattlesnakes, foraging for food, and protecting his sisters and mother (many times dealing with murderers, drug running and abuse, human trafficking, death, a serial killer, and extreme poverty—to multiple engineering degrees. From there he worked his way up the ladder to become a corporate executive in aerospace, turning companies around, starting and building multiple 7 figure companies in the fitness space (including Kabuki Strength), while also building up to 1001 lb x 3 sumo deadlift and 1000 lb x 3 squat (which are both Guinness Book World Records). It sounds fascinating and incredible, and that’s only part of his story.
Chris and I talk about the principles to be able to achieve anything in life—which he outlines in his book, “The Eagle And The Dragon”—as well as his beliefs about how to become a great leader, his journey of strength training and becoming one of the worlds strongest men – all while building up Kabuki Strength.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
- Why you don’t have to have a crazy backstory to have the drive to success and achieve incredible feats.
- Chris’ upbringing in the woods of Northern California, living homeless, in the drug trade, hunting his own food, around serial killers, human trafficking rings, and how he was able to rise above it.
- How Chris got promoted to leadership positions where people respected him despite not being a “rah rah” motivational guy.
- What was the difference that made Chris excel rather than go down a negative path, despite his extremely challenging circumstances.
- Why we MUST find challenge, stress and adversity rather than the comfort that we’re drawn to (the difference in succeeding or failing).
- The mindsets and introspection to help you overcome ANY challenge and turn it into a lesson that helps you get to the next level.
- The TWO things that you must have to drive your energy day in and day out.
- What are you drivers, what are your values, knowing who and how you want to be in the world, something you must keep coming back to – listen to Chris explain how this can work for you when it comes to overcoming adversity.
- The habits that have allowed Chris to continuously overcome obstacles and become a top performer in strength, leadership, work, and building businesses.
- What is the 5S method and how to apply it to your day and cut out all the unproductive things that aren’t essential.
- The “5 Why’s”, storytelling, having a vision and constantly sharing it, and other principles you have to apply to succeed personally and as part of a team.
- Chris’ core values and why recognition is one of them and it’s not bad (like many people believe).
- The keys to being a great leader no matter who and where you lead.
- Why you don’t have to be super polished, CEO cut, verses as a speaker, to be able to connect with people.
- Relationships are the foundation of success in business and life. Chris breaks down how to develop your KEY 5.
- Building a “strong mind and strong back” philosophy.
- The beginnings of Kabuki Strength and how Chris became one of the strongest men on earth while building a successful equipment and education company.
- The frustrations of training equipment that led to a solution by starting a company that solves the frustration (hint, BIG key in business).
And much more.
LINKS AND RESOURCES
Kabuki Strength: www.KabukiStrength.com
Chris Duffin Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mad_
Book: The Eagle and The Dragon – A Story of Strength and Reinvention (Chris Duffin): https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-
Vigor Life Podcast (iTunes): https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/vigor-life-podcast/id1180256583?mt=2
Luka Hocevar YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/
Luka Hocevar Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/