Dr. Mike Roussell is one of my go-to people when I have questions about nutrition. Dr. Mike is famous for transforming complex nutritional concepts into practical nutritional habits that his clients can use to ensure permanent weight loss and long-lasting health. He holds a degree in biochemistry from Hobart College and a doctorate in nutrition from Pennsylvania State University. Dr. Mike’s academic background, coupled with his broad range of experience consulting with pharmaceutical and food companies, medical schools, top-rated fitness facilities, professional athletes, and individual clients, gives him the unique ability to translate scientific findings into relevant, understandable, and actionable strategies that get results.
As a scientist, his research has been published multiple times in the world’s premiere clinical nutrition journal, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Dr. Mike oversees the optimization of the health, nutrition, and performance of a range of clientele from professional athletes, to celebrities, to Fortune 500 executives. He is also a sought after continuing educator, speaking across the country to physicians, dieticians, nurses, and other health professionals on the most recent advances in the nutritional treatments for cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, and weight loss.
In this episode, we dive into the art of nutrition coaching and what really works in the real world. We break down principles, science, and examples of client obstacles and how to help overcome them.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
- How Mike discovered the importance of the consultation and the art of coaching and why it was so different from so many “studies in the lab.”
- From bodybuilding to sports nutrition, Mike had a skewed view of what would work in the real world with real people (especially in the busy New York culture). His dives into why.
- Why writing for T-Nation and diving into the minutia of nutrition doesn’t carry over to people training 3x a week for 5 minutes working to change their body.
- How Mike would discover the truth from clients in the last 5 minutes of an hour-long consultation and how it helped him hone his skill as a coach.
- What is “Nutrition Speed Dating’ and how Mike was able to learn to build rapport and discover the obstacle in the way of people’s success.
- A key principle to getting results: discovering where the client sees themselves and where they are trying to go.
- The reason you can’t shock clients with huge changes when they think they are doing ok (this is KEY with many clients, tune in!)
- When to coach with more structure and challenge, and when to reel it back in; and the reason why Mike will fly across the country to meet clients face-to-face.
- Asking questions to discover where the client’s skillsets are, is critical to being able to give them the best “next steps.”
- How you may be setting up clients for failure when giving your “expert advice” – Mike and I give some must-listen examples
- Why Mike walks away from consultations and gives his subconscious a day or so before giving nutrition recommendations.
- When to NOT give people many options/choices when it comes to nutrition coaching.
- The reason Mike doesn’t like Intermittent Fasting and does NOT recommend it to his clients.
- What Mike thinks about tracking, which way is best, and is there a best way (and for who).
- What the “3-2-1 method” is and why this simple method works for a lot of clients.
- The 6 pillars of nutrition that are the foundation of a quality, healthy, sustainable diet.
- When to eat carbs and some deeper points on the timing of carbs (including circadian rhythm meal timing).
- Food as a social connector and how to make sure you implement it into coaching as a source of fulfillment and happiness (and how this makes you happier and healthier).
- How to help clients optimize things they don’t care about and keep the things they like.
- Why being inefficient is sometimes the key to better nutrition and also more happiness and fulfillment (as well as growing the businesses).
- Research that you should know about that makes a difference for you and your clients, ie. sleep becoming an obesity treatment!
- Mike drops knowledge on supplements that you MUST hear.
And much more.
LINKS AND RESOURCES
Dr. Mike Roussell Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikeroussell/
Book: MetaShred Diet: Your 28 Day Fat Loss Plan. Simple. Effective. Amazing. (Dr. Mike Roussell): https://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-MetaShred-Diet-Effective/dp/1623369886
Vigor Life Podcast (iTunes): https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/vigor-life-podcast/id1180256583?mt=2
Luka Hocevar YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ29YcBh-g6onRujX3wD_XA?view_as=subscriber
Luka Hocevar Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lukahocevar/