Brad Stulberg’s book Peak Performance has always been on my top list of recommendations for entrepreneurs. I just found out he had written a new book just as I was scheduling an episode with him. I read it within days and was glad I did, because The Practice of Groundedness gave me a deep poke on things I needed to continue to work on.
Brad researches, writes, and coaches on the characteristics that underlie sustainable excellence. No gimmicks or “hacks.” Just what works.
Brad’s books are The Practice of Groundedness and Peak Performance. They have sold more than 350,000 copies and have been translated into more than 20 languages. His writing has appeared in The New York Times, where I am a regular contributor to the opinion section, as well many other publications including The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Wired, The New Yorker, Forbes, GQ, Outside Magazine, TIME, and more.
In his coaching practice I work with executives, entrepreneurs, physicians, and athletes on their performance and overall well-being.
He’s the co-creator of The Growth Equation an online platform dedicated to defining and realizing a more fulfilling, genuine kind of excellence and sustainable success.
Brad is also a fellow at the University of Michigan’s graduate school of public health, where he advises and lectures on health, human potential, and excellence.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- Even though Brad was successful in his field and had it all together on the outside, inside he had an anxiety and frenetic energy that always made him feel he was on shaky ground, this led to finding out why and writing this book
- The reason many high achievers and successful people feel are always striving and not feeling at peace with where they are.
- Why do entrepreneurs want to “turn it off” and have some peace but when they do they feel like they should be working.
- How to find the balance between striving to be excellent in your craft and career, and not losing yourself and having peace.
- What is “Summit Fever” and how it may lead to a huge downfall after a success.
- How to be grounded in the process of striving where you spend 99.9% of the time.
- Is awareness the most important principle to become grounded and something that is critical to becoming aware.
- Breaking down the 6 principles of groundedness and how to practice them in a skill based way.
- Why “good enough” consistently can make you the best in the world.
- A practice and strategy to be able to take your own advice; true wisdom.
- What is performative vulnerability vs. true vulnerability, and the power of this principle on your life and business.
- What is deep community and why it may be the most important one to build roundedness.
- Why Brad and I agree that its better to have one gym that makes a deeper impact than a chain of national gyms (and our reasoning behind it).
- How being the most know and being excellent at your craft are two very different things.
- The power of movement and exercise and how it affects mindset, psychology, health, and is a catalyst to improve every factor of your life.
- The formula for discovering the right movement approach for you to have lifelong success and health.
LINKS AND RESOURCES:
Brad Stulberg website: https://www.bradstulberg.com/
Book: The Practice of Groundedness https://a.co/d/0UXG6kn
Brad Stulberg Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/
The Growth Equation: https://thegrowtheq.com/
Vigor Life Podcast (iTunes) h
Vigor Life Podcast on Spotify https://open.spotify.com/show/
Luka Hocevar YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/