Recently I was down in San Diego for an event my friend Craig Ballantyne was putting one. While there Jay Ferruggia and I decided to take the opportunity to visit the famous Glute Lab to train with our friend Bret Contreras. AKA “The Glute Guy.” Apart from a great training session, we got to talking about training, which led to this podcast episode.
In it you’ll get some powerful insights on program design, joint-friendly training, building muscle (at any age) and how to stay in the game forever – along with some industry secrets, and much much more.
The three of us have a combined 60 years of coaching experience under our belts, and have been training personally for 25 years or more years (each). This hour of power is a look into what works in the real world, and why we were wrong about some things that we only learned through decades of experience coaching clients.
This is a “must listen” episode if you’re a coach.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- The big mistakes most people make when programming for building muscle and why you will fail if you do this
- Why you’re doing too much and not doing it well enough
- Why talking smack about machines was mistake and why we love machines and how to use them
- Why joint-friendly training is the solution for long-term strength, muscle, performance, and feeling great
- The exact model Bret uses to get people results month in and month out, for the long haul (steal it!)
- Jay’s secret on sequencing exercises and why NOT to start the day with the big lifts – this is a game changer when you implement it
- How I cycle bilateral and unilateral exercises as main exercises, rotate joint-friendly lifts, and change the reps of my PR’s to constantly improve
- What should you focus on the most: Intensity, Volume, Frequency?
- The ideal training splits for most people and the break down of what has been the “bread n’ butter” in getting results for our clients us for decades
- The key to longevity in the fitness game as coach. We share our wisdom from decades of work and many mistakes
And much more.
LINKS AND RESOURCES:
Bret Contreras Website: https://bretcontreras.com/
Jay Ferruggia: http://jasonferruggia.com/
Book: The Glute Lab – The Art and Science of Strength Training (Bret Contreras): https://www.amazon.com/Glute-Lab-Art-Science-Training/dp/1628603461/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=the+glute+lab&qid=1574934576&sr=8-2
Vigor Ground Fitness and Performance: www.VigorGroundFitness.com
Vigor Life Podcast (iTunes): https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/vigor-life-podcast/id1180256583?mt=2
Luka Hocevar YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ29YcBh-g6onRujX3wD_XA?view_as=subscriber
Luka Hocevar Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lukahocevar/
Thanks so much for joining me this week. Have some feedback that you’d like to share? Leave me a review on iTunes.