Andy Galpin, PhD, is a tenured Professor at the Center for Sport Performance at California State University, Fullerton. Galpin received an undergraduate degree in Exercise Science from Linfield College, a Master’s Degree in Human Movement Sciences from the University of Memphis, and a PhD in Human Bioenergetics from Ball State University. He currently teaches and runs the Biochemistry and Molecular Exercise Physiology Lab at California State University, Fullerton. That will tell you he’s a smart guy, but Andy also understands the real world of training and nutrition and consults some of the world’s top athletes to elite performance levels.
There are many reasons why I love the guy: he’s a great human, he loves strength and conditioning, he’s from Washington State and he loves hip-hop; which pretty much seals the deal for me.
Andy’s also the co-author of the best-selling book, “Unplugged: Evolve From Technology To Upgrade Your Fitness, Performance, and Consciousness” and has been featured just about everywhere including on the Joe Rogan Podcast.
In this episode we dive into the principles of training and nutrition that are based on science but also work in the real world, how to spot B.S. and fake guru’s, and many insights on how to become a great coach in the real world and gets results with your clients.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
- Andy’s bulletproof bullshit detector to find out what advice is real and what is B.S.
- The 3 pieces of evidence you want to look at when it comes to your certainty about claims in training, nutrition and supplementation.
- My 80/20 rule of sticking with things I know work and testing out new methods, innovations and things I’ve learned.
- The cook, the chef and the baker analogy and why you should start as a cook no matter what!
- Why social media is skipping the cook portion of teaching and creating a lot of B.S.
- Why you have to be crystal clear about what you want to achieve before you ever pick an exercise rep, set, or anything else.
- Andy’s template for building an athlete of life, and what you should do weekly when it comes to training.
- Why speed and power are SO important with the elderly population and how it can help you live longer and even prevent death.
- The reason why high intensity training should be cut down by 50% or more (for most) to get the best results with health, fitness and performance.
- How culture changed the shift of exercise popularity from cardio to bodybuilding, to high intensity exercise, to recovery and how to put the puzzle pieces together.
- Why as a coach you shouldn’t try to bring clients into your world but rather commit to stepping into theirs.
- How to put the puzzle pieces of it all together while getting the clients input so you get better compliance and results.
- Why Andy teaches his classes in a real world format that prepares coaches for the clients they’ll be dealing with.
- What “defenders” are and what is stopping clients from succeeding; we discuss how to remove the obstacles rather that “tell people what to do.”
- How Andy removed the barrier of an elite fighter to take their performance to the next level.
- Once you realize that you’re really a detective you’ll become a better coach.
- An exercise Andy gives to his students to help them learn to problem solve.
- The nutrition principles that have withstood the test of time and will continue to work for you and your clients.
- Why as a coach you should have a philosophy that you believe in when it comes to training and nutrition, even in the early stages of your career.
And much, much more.
LINKS AND RESOURCES
Dr. Andy Galpin: http://www.andygalpin.com/
Book: Unplugged: Evolve From Technology To Upgrade Your Fitness, Performance, and Consciousness (Brian MacKenzie and Andy Galpin): https://www.amazon.com/Unplugged-technology-upgrade-performance-consciousness-ebook/dp/B072PWGV5J/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=unplugged&qid=1589233163&sr=8-4
Dr. Andy Galpin YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe3R2e3zYxWwIhMKV36Qhkw
The Art Of Breath: https://powerspeedendurance.com/artofbreath/
Vigor Life Podcast (iTunes): https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/vigor-life-podcast/id1180256583?mt=2
Luka Hocevar YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ29YcBh-g6onRujX3wD_XA?view_as=subscriber
Luka Hocevar Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lukahocevar/
Thanks so much for joining me this week. Have some feedback that you’d like to share? Leave me a review on iTunes.