Joel Jamieson is widely considered one of the world’s foremost authorities on strength and conditioning for combat sports, having trained many of the sports best athletes since 2004. He is the author of the bestselling book Ultimate MMA Conditioning and is a contributing writer to several top magazines and a frequent guest speaker at conferences and seminars all over the world. Joel has worked with and consulted extensively for teams and organizations ranging from Navy SEALS to Life Time Fitness and his Bioforce HRV system was used by teams in the NFL, NBA, MLS, NCAA, and more (now called “Morpheus). He is best known for an individualized approach that is both based on solid science and yet practical to apply. Joel created 8weeksout.com in 2009 to help clear up the misinformation and confusion surrounding energy systems. Since then, the site has become one of the authorities on strength, conditioning, and performance.
Joel is one of my closes friends and a person I spend a lot of time geeking out on the science of training, longevity, health, and also business. Since he’s also one of the worlds foremost conditioning and metabolic optimization specialists, I’ve had him back on the show for the 3rd and, and he never fails to deliver top notch insights, practical application, and some big “aha” moments that will help you upgrade your performance, health, longevity, and overall results.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- What is “metabolism” and the 3 biggest myths around it.
- Why the idea that if you just burn more calories, you’ll lose more weight is wrong, we dive into the research of Herman Pontzer you must understand.
- Fascinating research showing people with higher metabolism aren’t necessarily leaner than people with lower metabolisms, why this is and how it applies to you.
- How calorie restriction leads to longevity, and whether you should be under eating.
- The difference of optimizing for longevity vs. optimizing for performance, do you have to give up one for the other.
- One of the rarely talked about reasons of why we lose muscle as we age, and what we can learn from it.
- The power of mitochondria and why it’s something you MUST understand and develop (and the ways to do it).
- The TTENNS approach to improving every facet of your longevity with specific examples.
- Strength training and walking Is NOT enough if you want to optimize your health and longevity.
- What is metabolic flexibility, its benefits, and how to apply it in both training and nutrition.
- What’s “zone 2” and why is it now becoming popular, the benefits of it, and the myths surrounded by it.
- Why metabolic work requires more frequency but not as much intensity (aka, you’re not doing enough cardio!).
- Why Joel think metabolic work comes first, then strength and how Cardio will NOT affect your strength, muscle, and performance in a negative way.
- How to ice baths, sauna’s, float tanks, etc. affect longevity and where do they come into play.
- The future of individualized supplementation and therapeutics in improving health and longevity.
- And much, much more!
LINKS AND RESOURCES:
8 Weeks Out www.8weeksout.com
Vigor Ground Fitness and Performance Gym www.VigorGroundFitness.com
Vigor Life Podcast (iTunes)
Luka Hocevar YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/
Luka Hocevar Instagram https://www.instagram.com/
Thanks so much for joining me this week. Have some feedback that you’d like to share? Leave me a review on iTunes.